- This event has passed.
Spectrum Scale (GPFS) User Group main UK meeting
9th May 2017 - 10th May 2017
We’re flattered that we’ve seen some advertising us as the Global Spectrum Scale user group event, and its great that we’re doing well. This year’s event will be bigger than ever with space for up to 200 attendees, we’ve had to move out of IBM Client Centre in South Bank and are heading north to Manchester!
The UK Spring user group will take place over two days on 9th and 10th May 2017 at the Macdonald Manchester Hotel, Manchester. We’d like to thank IBM and our sponsors for supporting the event and the evening networking/social event on the evening of 9th May 2017.
As usual, we will have a packed agenda with speakers from the IBM development teams, user talks as well as technical talks from our sponsors.
The hotel where the event is taking place has reserved a limited number of rooms for the night before the event (8th May) and the night of the event (9th May). The rates are £115 B&B and £145 B&B per room per night respectively and if anyone wishes to book they can call the hotel 0344 879 9088 and quote code OCFP090517 to benefit from these rates. Please ensure you have confirmed your ticket via the registration page before booking your hotel room.
The agenda for the day is a bit further down the page and we are looking for users to do a short presentation on their use of Spectrum Scale/GPFS. Please contact us if you’d like to volunteer. These are often the most valuable talks of the event so please don’t be shy!
We’d very much like to thank the following sponsors for supporting the user group meeting by providing funding to support the evening social event:
Day 1 – 9th May 2017
|09:00 – 10:00||Registration & Networking|
|10:00 – 10:30||Opening & Welcome – Simon Thompson (UG), Michael Daubman (IBM)|
|10:30 – 11:20||Spectrum Scale Update – Ulf Troppens (IBM)|
|11:20 – 11:40||ESS Update – Christopher Maestas (IBM)|
|11:40 – 12:00||Sponsor Talk 1 – Ellexus: Catching rogue jobs before they overload shared storage: an I/O profiling case study – Dr. Rosemary Francis|
|12:00 – 13:00||Lunch & Networking|
|13:00 – 13:20||Customer Talk – “The UK Research Data Facility” – Kieran Leach (EPCC)|
|13:20 – 13:40||Sponsor Talk 2 – DDN: AFM Case Studies – Vic Cornell|
|13:40 – 14:30||Spectrum Scale Cloud Deployments – Christopher Maestas (IBM)|
|14:30 – 14:50||Licensing – Carl Zetie (IBM)|
|14:50 – 15:20||Coffee and Networking|
|15:20 – 15:40||Sponsor Talk 3 – Arcastream: Automated Data Curation and Discovery with Spectrum Scale and ArcaStream – Jez Tucker & Barry Evans|
|15:40 – 16:30||Problem Determination – Simon Lorenz (IBM)|
|16:30 – 17:20||Best Practices – Olaf Weiser (IBM)|
|17:50 – 18:00||Wrap up|
|19:00||Evening Social Event, drinks and food – Manchester Museum of Science and Industry|
Day 2 – 10th May 2017
|08:30 – 09:00||Coffee and Networking|
|09:00 – 10:00||Parallel Breakout/workshop session 1
|10:00 – 11:00||Parallel Breakout/workshop session 2
|11:00 – 12:00||Parallel Breakout/workshop session 3
|12:00 – 13:00||Lunch & Networking|
|13:00 – 13:20||Sponsor Talk 4 – Mellanox: RoCE and Spectrum Scale – RDMA support and performance over Ethernet – Darren Harkins|
|13:20 – 13:40||Customer Talk – AFM Migration – The road to perdition – Mark Roberts (AWE) & Laurence Horrocks-Barlow (OCF)|
|13:40 – 14:00||Sponsor Talk 5 – Seagate: Accelerating Spectrum Scale with an Intelligent IO Manager – Ray Coetzee|
|14:00 – 14:20||Customer Talk – TBC|
|14:20 – 14:50||Coffee and Networking|
|14:50 – 16:00||Research Topics – Sven Oehme (IBM)|
|16:00 – 16:30||Wrap-up and feedback – Simon Thompson (UG), Michael Daubman (IBM)|
To register for this year’s event, please use our EventBrite event page at:
Registration is now open.
Please note that we are currently limiting registrations to 3 per organisation to ensure as many organisations as possible are able to attend and places are strictly limited due to room capacity. We will be operating a wait list, so if you can’t get a ticket now, then we’ll hold details in case they become available nearer the date.
We look forward to seeing you in May!
Spectrum Scale User Group Meeting, Manchester, UK (May)
- Opening & Welcome – Simon Thompson (UG), Michael Daubman (IBM)
- Spectrum Scale Update – Ulf Troppens (IBM)
- ESS Update – Christopher Maestas (IBM)
- Sponsor Talk 1 – Ellexus: Catching rogue jobs before they overload shared storage: an I/O profiling case study – Dr. Rosemary Francis
- Customer Talk – “The UK Research Data Facility” – Kieran Leach (EPCC)
- Sponsor Talk 2 – DDN: AFM Case Studies – Vic Cornell
- Spectrum Scale Cloud Deployments – Christopher Maestas (IBM)
- Licensing – Carl Zetie (IBM)
- Sponsor Talk 3 – Arcastream: Automated Data Curation and Discovery with Spectrum Scale and ArcaStream – Jez Tucker & Barry Evans
- Problem Determination – Simon Lorenz (IBM)
- Best Practices – Olaf Weiser (IBM)
- Integration with Spectrum Protect for Backup – Fabian Kulhl (IBM), Additional Material
- Docker Support / Update on metadata sizing – Olaf Weiser (IBM), Indulis Bernsteins (IBM)
- CES Authentication / Spectrum Scale Security (Meet the Devs) – Sandeep Ramesh (IBM)
- Introduction to AFM and Use Cases – Nils Haustein (IBM)
- Object, SwiftHLM and OpenStack (cloud) – Sandeep Ramesh (IBM), Simon Lorenz (IBM)
- GUI and REST API (Meet the Devs) – Alexander Wolf (IBM)
- Automation of Storage Services – Nils Haustein (IBM)
- Container and Virtualisation support (Cloud) – John Lewars (IBM)
- HDFS Support (Meet the Devs) – Piyush Chaudrhary (IBM)
- Sponsor Talk 4 – Mellanox: RoCE and Spectrum Scale – RDMA support and performance over Ethernet – Darren Harkins
- Customer Talk – AFM Migration – The road to perdition – Mark Roberts (AWE) & Laurence Horrocks-Barlow (OCF)
- Sponsor Talk 5 – Seagate: Accelerating Spectrum Scale with an Intelligent IO Manager – Ray Coetzee, Additional Material
- Customer Talk – Scale out storage systems to support Research and Cloud – Simon Thompson (University of Birmingham)
- Research Topics – Sven Oehme (IBM)